NYU Langone Hospital-Long Island is a 591-bed university-affiliated medical center, which offers sophisticated diagnostic and therapeutic care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty of medicine and surgery. We are a major regional healthcare resource with a deep commitment to medical education and research, offering a full complement of inpatient and outpatient services.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Shift Supervisor.
In this role, the successful candidate oversees the daily operation of the section(s) of the laboratory as designated in the New State Laboratory Permit ensures duties and responsibilities are consistent with regulations governing supervision of subordinate staff. Assesses new employees’ initial competency and evaluates each employee as required by the department/institution. Encourages and participates in staff development and continued competency assessment. Participates in the financial decisions and accountability of the department and plans for appropriate resources needed to accomplish the department’s objectives.
- Supervises the day-to-day supervision of high complexity testing performance by testing personnel. Observes performance of instrument and function checks. Reviews worksheets, quality control records and proficiency testing results. Resolves technical problems and ensures that remedial actions are taken whenever test systems deviates from the lab’s established performance specifications. Ensures that patient test results are not reported until all corrective actions have been taken, and that the test system is functioning properly. Identifies training needs for the type and complexity of the testing performed. Monitors the recording and reporting of test results.
- Communicates with the Medical and Administrative Directors of the department for advice and counsel and direction.
- Supervises, trains, coaches, mentors and provides orientation to all testing personnel for the assigned shift.
- Responsible for department competencies. Evaluates and documents the performance of individuals responsible for high complexity testing. Ensures that the staff maintains their competency to perform testing.
- Recommends personnel actions including, but not limited to, hiring, performance appraisals, promotions, and grievance resolution.
- Ensures that staffing needs are met, monitors attendance and approves all PTO time.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- To qualify you must have a Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Technology, Biology or related field.
- Current and Valid NYS Clinical Laboratory Technologist license.
- Six Years Clinical Laboratory experience in a Hospital or Reference Lab.
- Ability to work independently, interact with, and maintain functional relationships with personnel at all levels within and outside of the organization.
- Strong communication (both oral and written), interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Basic computer skills including MS Office.
Clinical Lab Technologist-NYS
- Master’s degree in Healthcare Administration or related field.
- Medical Technologist certification from the American Association of Clinical Pathologists.
- 1-2 years Supervisory, Management or Lead role.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Hospital-Long Island provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you’ll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Hospital-Long Island is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Hospital-Long Island’s EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal “EEO is the law” poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: